The Pakachoag Golf Course is the site of Dr. Robert Goddard's launch of the first successful liquid-fueled rocket on March 16, 1926. The actual launch site of Goddard's rocket is located at the midpoint between the tee and the green on the ninth fairway. The site was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1966. Dr. Goddard's launch site can still be seen today and is memorialized by a stone monument set on the ninth fairway.
At the time, the property was the Asa Ward Farm. In 1939, the Ward family converted the land into a golf course and managed it under the name Pakachoag Golf Corporation. With the use of a federally funded grant, the Town of Auburn purchased the 54-acre property from the Pakachoag Golf Corporation in 1981.
Since its acquisition by the Town in 1981 until December 31st, 2015, the course was maintained and operated by private contractors. As of January 1, 2016 the golf course will be operated, managed and maintained by the Town of Auburn.
Welcome to Pakachoag Golf Course - where history was made!